1. Can I burn my trash or brush?
You are not allowed to burn trash or rubbish within the City limits of Rockwall.  However, if you have a land parcel 2 acres or greater, you may obtain a permit for the on-site burning of residential yard and garden debris and waste plant growth only. You can apply for the permit on our website by printing the permit and bringing it into Station #1 with your map and permit fee. See our Annual Residential Burn guidelines and permit application here.

2. Can I have a fire pit or campfire in my backyard?
Yes, with some restrictions. Please see our Outdoor Fire Informational Bulletin for more information.

3. Is there a burn ban?
To check the latest burn ban information, call the Rockwall County Fire Marshal’s office at (972) 204-7270. 

4. Does the Fire Department fill fire extinguishers?
No.  Please contact the manufacturer or a local fire extinguisher service company to determine if the unit can be refilled.  Refilling services are provided by a number of different fire extinguisher service companies.

5.What do I do with fire extinguishers that have been used?
Some units are able to be recharged after use while others are not.  Please contact the manufacturer or a local fire extinguisher service company to get more information about your particular unit.  Units that cannot be recharged can be put in your household trash can and replaced with another unit.

6. Can I use fireworks within the City?
No, the use of fireworks is prohibited within the City of Rockwall and outside the city limits for a distance of 5,000 feet within Rockwall’s Extraterritorial Jurisdiction.
Click here to see a map.

7. Is Rockwall Fire Department a volunteer or paid department?
We are a combination department made up of full-time, part-time and volunteer firefighters.

8. What is the City’s ISO Rating?
The Rockwall Fire Department received its ISO grading in 2012. The new Public Protection Classification rating went into effect on July 1, 2013. Our Public Protection Classification rating is 2 and our Outside Protection Classification rating is a 9. A rating of 10 is the worst and 1 is the best. See our ISO Web Page for more information.

9. Where do I call for non-emergency fire related questions?
Call the administration office of the fire department at (972) 771-7770.

10. Can I get a home fire inspection?
Yes, the Fire Department provides inspections for fire safety and evacuation plans free of cost. Please see our Fire & Life Safety Page for more info.

11. Where is the closest fire station to my home?
The city currently has 4 Stations. Fire Station 1 and Fire Administration are located at 305 East Boydstun. Fire Station 2 is located at 920 Rockwall Parkway. Fire Station 3 is located at 191 E. Quail Run Road and Fire Station 4 is located at 2915 S. Goliad St.

12. How do I obtain a copy of a fire report?
Copies of fire reports and investigation reports can be obtained by submitting an Open Records Request located on the City of Rockwall Website Click here for the Open Records Request form

13. Does the Fire Department do tours of the station?
Yes, the firefighters are happy to do tours when available. We cannot have birthday parties at the station, however, due to the possibility of fire calls coming in during the event. Please see our Fire & Life Safety Page for more info.

14. Does the Fire Department do Blood Pressure Screenings?
Yes, we are able to check blood pressure when available at each station. 

15. How can I receive free smoke alarms and have them installed in my home?
Call us at (972) 771-7770. Free smoke alarms are available for City of Rockwall residents who may not have the resources or the means to make sure working smoke alarms are in their homes. Our firefighters will come install them in your home as needed and can assist you with replacing batteries if you are unable to reach them. Please purchase the batteries before they come out to replace them.

16. How often should I check my smoke alarm?
Smoke alarms should be tested monthly by pressing the “test” button. Batteries should be changed twice a year. A good way to remember is to change your smoke alarm batteries when you change your clocks for daylight savings time. Smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years.

17. When does the Fire Department have its meetings?
The Fire Department meets on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Mondays of the month at 7:00 p.m. for business and training meetings. Call the Administration office at
(972) 771-7770 for meeting locations.

18. Why is important to have a home fire escape plan?
Because just awakened people, especially children, are often confused and may panic during a fire. A well planned and practiced home fire escape plan can help people get out safely. Your plan should include two ways out of every room, especially bedrooms. If you have a multi-story home, you may want to purchase a fire escape ladder (sold at retail outlets). Also include in your plan a meeting place outside your home. Never go back inside for pets or toys. You should practice your plan at least twice a year.

19. Can the Fire Department install/inspect Child Safety Seats?
We do not offer Child Safety Seat installation or inspection at this time. 
Please contact TXDOT to make an appointment for this service.

TXDOT - Dallas District
4777 US-80 East
Mesquite, TX 75150
Phone: (214) 320-6235

Please contact us at the e-mail addresses listed on our contact page
or call our main number at station #1, (972) 771-7770.